Avoiding the “quick fix”
Almost all of us have at some point been tempted by monitoring products that claim to “Solve your server problems!” or perhaps even “Fix your slow network!”. These are appealing because let’s be honest, we all like quick and easy fixes, don’t we? It also seems to make sense – use tech to fix tech. We then convince ourselves that the underlying problem must be so complicated, only a special tool can resolve it. However, in most cases, all these products do is highlight roughly where the problem lies. This of course may be obvious, in the event of hardware failure for example.
While these monitoring tools do have their place, we only get the most out of them when we’ve started off by baselining.
Begin with the base
Cisco describes baselining as a process for studying the network at regular intervals. This is what actually ensures the network is working as intended, but of course you need to start with a fully functioning network! So, then you would collect data on device configuration, CPU, RAM, & link utilisation, and frequency of interface errors etc over a few weeks of business operation. Now you may already have a network tool that has an an audit utility, but if not you may find it more cost-effective to log on to network devices and manually record this data.
We’re now in a position to actually start monitoring. You have the data for normal network operation, which means you know what alarm thresholds to set in any monitoring system. Remember the “regular intervals” though, and perform the network audit periodically! This will help you keep your alarm thresholds updated and adjusted, as your network, and its load, grows.
Select the solution you need
Our team of consultants can work in partnership with you, assisting with any or each stage of the baselining and monitoring process. Below are just some of the potential benefits:
- Ensure confidence in the process by letting us identify and resolve any existing problems with a network integrity check.
- Remove the guesswork and start off with the right data for alarm thresholds with an initial network audit.
- Keep costs down with our up-front recommendations on the level of monitoring you actually need.
- Reduce anxiety from “false-positives” through our regular baseline update service.
- Remove the need to learn yet another product by allowing us to monitor your network for you.
- Know when to plan network upgrades with our annual network baseline advisory.
- Gain complete network peace of mind with a total-care remote respond & resolve service.
Whether you choose to perform baselining and monitoring in-house, allow us to handle the whole process, or defer to our team when you need guidance, you can get started for nothing. Simply call us toll-free (UK mobile and landlines) on 0808 164 3800 for a free telephone consultation, or click the button below to request a call-back from a consultant.